Translation?

Monday 17 September 2012

Drinking Bath water


For our escapade outside of the 2012 Olympic capital, Michelle and I ran off to the old town of Bath by train for a day. We were drawn in instantly by quaint roads and gardens. I think I must have said, "How lovely" at least 42 times that afternoon.

The land of Jane Austen reminiscent of old soldiers, is stoic yet twinkling. We stopped at a corner cafe for paninis and found a bench with live music at the square outside the chapel.

















Although..the seagulls were competing and I think they may have won, at least for decibel count.







Then into the grand chapel to see some super ancient tombs, quickly followed by the Baths themselves. I stopped to examine all the coins thrown into the fountains over the last 1000 years or so, the intricate gemstones, and the pitiful requests hardly legible made to the gods for vengeance drawn on slates of stone. People had some great ideas back then for punishment..


As much Latin as I took during university and as much as I adore the gods, the place was a bit too chockful of history for my taste. I soon grew sleepy from the droning listening device and being stuck inside the caves. I skipped on to the good bit--the big ol' Bath.


No "do not run" sign necessary.
The actors walking around (what a job!) seriously had me going. I asked one to take a photo and was disdainfully reproached. "What do you want with that box? Excuse me, miss," (he turned to an innocent tourist) "I think she wants something done with that funny little box." I cast my eyes low and asked her to then take our picture. The Roman women were slightly more agreeable, posing candidly on request.





I filled up my water bottle with the oh-so-famous natural healing spring water (also a great tourist souvenir, how long have we been being charged for water..?). I giggled for the rest of the day, reminding Michelle I was again "drinking my bath water". She humored me, the good-natured friend she is.


I found Colonel Brandon!

My fave :)



We walked on up to the Jane Austen museum, then the Royal Crescent.










There I could visualize the horses trotting around the circle, the nobles strutting on the green, all the pretty frocks and hats on display. We took full advantage of the grass and let our minds wander.



Walking along the Avon on the way back, I spotted a cousin of my own dear Shamu (see Ibiza blog).


No comments:

Post a Comment