Translation?

Saturday 23 March 2013

Welcome to the Dam - Amsterdam

Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding on Grooveshark
In order to best celebrate my birthday conveniently falling during the time of vacation, my best girlyfriends at Toulouse, all also English teachers, and I booked a weekend to Amsterdam, the land promising a good time.

The city of bikes and canals and biking canals, and canal-biking...you get it.
We four girls boarded the bus in Brussels shivering our backpacks off, hoping we might find a bit of sunshine going further...north.

Quelle surprise, we ended up snatching up any possible excuse to sit near a heater--an irish coffee, a pita crammed with hummus, eggplant, and veggies, a bag of those famous fries doused with spicy sauce, or samples of cheese with flavours ranging from red pesto and cumin to smoked goat.

Alright, so maybe the escapades were justified.











Arriving a bit weary but bright-eyed, our sympathetic CS host Ralph picked us up from the station before we went on a night saunter around the center.

Dam Square with the glowing National Monument
My favorite street
"OOOOohhh it's so CUUUuuute!!!" -Emma

Our genius couchsurfer led us to a range of bright Holland nightlife.
Let's just say grace à lui and his insider's knowledge, my birthday was truly 'electrifyin''.

Like the facepaint.

Ralph is absolutely a treasure, merci et à la prochaine!





Emma also had good luck with her friendly smiling CS host, with whom I also shared some giggles.
Standing next to him, I soon realised there was nothing in my genetics that shrieked 'Netherlands!'
I am, nonetheless proud of my little self and will continue to go into 'chihuahua mode' whenever I see fit.








Saturday morning, Anna, Sasha and I went on search of a flea market. We began with the metro, transferred to a boat, traversed to north Amsterdam, walked down a few lonely streets, and discovered a truly sweet tradition--free tea in vintage shops. There was no denying a steaming cup with a view of the world's best hipster trinkets. I lost count of moustaches and pink spotted decals and we continued on.
Unfortunately it was a bit of a goose chase, but the view across the river wasn't so shabby. We did find a vintage shop where I found some stylish pins and the snazziest leather cap seen since Christian Bale sang "The World Will Know".
Look closely beyond the bikes, at the contrast between the old Amsterdam and the new.



Amsterdam is choque full of museums and art, no doubt. My choice was clear--the Anne Frank Museum housed in the office where the family had hidden. Van Gogh can wait till next time.

Otto Frank's old office building
Just beyond down the canal
My prepubescent memories are rich with Anne Frank musings. I remember tearing up at the film at 12 years old and disappearing into the diary several times to come out a bit more kind to the general public.
Seeing her actual diaries was surreal and humbling. A glass case displaying many translations of her book ended the tour to show just how many lives little Anne has touched.

Centraal Station



Saturday included also some wandering around Dam Square, the Neoclassical Palace, and the Nieuwe Kerk (the gothic cathedral).
Proof that I did indeed take pictures during the day.






Royal Palace, with the appropriate classical accompaniment 

Emma and I took a relaxed stroll once again down the canals before submitting to weakness and ducking into the first heated building.

There's my HAT











Dinner was carefully sought out authentic Dutch cuisine joined by a friendly group of traveling frenchies due to an impromptu coffee shop chat. Sometimes you have to step off the CS wagon.

And YUM.

To be honest, reminded me a bit of hearty English grub.


Another option for eats, (although Ralph highly suggested against for digestive protocal), genius really, how much quicker (and more on a budget?) do snacks get?


I vote to nix taxis and go with these bad boys. Eco-friendly, no?



Ensuite some gawking around the red light district (culture for culture's sake). Reactions differed: Anna was disappointed, she had expected more, but for me it all seemed quite safe, not near as sleazy and back-alley as I had envisioned.
But just like this window display points out, 'this isn't Disneyland...'


No comments:

Post a Comment